Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Exchange Student Fun




Hello Everyone. I've been completely self-absorbed the past two weeks. Our exchange student arrived on the 9th and left on the 19th. It was a good yet all-consuming event.

Gonzalo lives in Guadalajara. He is the same age as CW. He actually turned twelve during his visit (six days after CW's 12th birthday). He attended school with CW and was part of a basketball team from Mexico. The team played two exhibition games while here. Turns out, I had the star player and team captain in my house. I might be bragging a little bit. He was well mannered and spoke English much better than I speak Spanish. He didn't seem too homesick but did buy his Mom a small gift anytime he had the chance. He & CW got along well. MW took much pleasure in playing the role of an annoying little sister. I think I must have asked "are you hungry?" at least every five minutes during his entire stay.

The first day I took him to HEB to pick out foods that he liked to eat. He was so polite that everytime I pointed to something he would just say "that is fine". I could have pointed to chicken livers and he would have agreed. So the HEB thing didn't work too well. He seemed happy with whatever I gave him though. It was day 3 that I realized he hadn't brushed his teeth which could've been a big problem since his Mom is a dentist. He would shower, dress, sleep, wake, or whatever needed to be done with no trouble which makes me worry about CW. He goes to stay with Gonzalo in March. I'm hoping he showers and brushes his teeth. I'm not too sure he'll do it without me there to nag.

It is tradition for the exchange students to bring gifts for the host family. I received a bottle of expensive Tequila and a beautiful silver necklace/bracelet/earring set. CW was given a chess set and shirt. MW was given a sweet charm bracelet. We sent a scrapbook of Gonzalo's stay home with him and a framed picture. When CW goes in March, it will be our turn to send gifts. I'm open to ideas.

During Gonzalo's stay we did the following: ate out eight times, Laser Quest, Alamo, Riverwalk and boat ride, Tower of Americas with 4D ride, 3 basketball games, Spurs game, shopping @ La Cantera, Forum & Bass Pro Shop, school, Sunday school, church, Boy Scout Spaghetti Dinner, swimming and celebrated the boy's birthday with a sleepover. Now I know how it feels to have out-of-town guests. I'm usually the out-of-town guest. My appreciation for my previous hosts has grown.

The BIG DEAL was the H2. All the exchange & host students plus 3 of CW's friends were picked up from school (on CW's birthday) by the pictured H2 for a ride to lunch and Laser Quest. Yea, it was a hit.

I'll post some more pictures separately. I've been trying to insert photos for the past 2 hours and it just messes up this blog. I actually had to retype part of it. If anyone knows the proper way to type text and insert photos without messing up the format, please share. I'm beyond frustrated. The pictures will only post at the beginning and not at the end or within the text. Plus, when I browse to my CD, it only lists numbers and not actual photos (so I don't know which one to pick). Plus, how do I get it to copy/paste? I don't see the option anywhere. SARA MORELAND! This is your doing. Thanks in advance for pointers.

1 Comments:

Blogger M Holly said...

What an experience for CW and Megan to have a foreign exchange student to live with them and learn from. I know it was an experience they won't forget soon. I hope CW's journey will be as rewarding for him as I'm sure Gonzalo's was. You must be tired after all the "here and theres", but I'm sure you wouldn't have exchanged the event for anything.

I remember when my cousin had a foreign exchange student live with them for a whole school year. Now, that is a challenge! I don't know if I could do that! However, I will say that they stayed in touch with her ever since, and that was in the 60's!

HOpe you had a wonderful Thanksgiving and will have a great Christmas!

Holly

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home