Friday, September 29, 2006

Adolescent vs. Aerosol

Hello friends and family! I pray all is well. If not, I pray you will consider checking in with God for some help and support. He's been waiting for you.

CW left this evening for a weekend confirmation retreat. I'm seeing shades of adolescent angst and awkwardness. Let's start by discussing the dangers of spray-on deodorant in the hands of a preteen. FYI to other parents, it has to be Axe and it has to be aerosol. I think it is like the "Nike" of deodorant for sixth graders. I think he was a little excited by having it. As soon as we got home from the store, he sprayed it on as if it contained some sort of life force. I could smell the fumes before I reached the hallway. Worrisome, when you consider he was in his room with the door shut. Once I opened the door, my eyes began to tear and my throat swelled shut. I thought I might need a search and rescue team to extract him from the death vapors in his room. He made it out which is actually the bad news. Then I had to live with him and the deodorant smell which lingered about, sort of like the dust around Pigpen from the Charlie Brown cartoon. Now this new "need" to smell good does not seem to include a "need" to brush teeth or wear clean clothes. Go figure. By the way, he is considering asking his friends to call him by his middle name. Why? "Just thinking about it" he explains.

Poor guy. He also had six baby teeth pulled on Tuesday. He is almost twelve and until Tuesday had only lost 8 teeth (four of those had been pulled previously). MW is nearly eight and has only lost 4 and they were pulled too. Including the ones pulled Tuesday, including both kids... only 4 of 18 teeth have come out naturally. I so want a school picture with a gap tooth smile. MW is my only hope and it isn't looking so good. Nevertheless, CW is doing well. His retainer is now obsolete which makes him extremely happy. Despite his uncertainity about the toothfairy, money turned up under his pillow which makes him even happier.

Sunday is MW's birthday party. We're having a swim party for the first time. I have never dared to plan a swim party due to the time of year. This year has been so warm and the cool fronts haven't really gotten started, so I decided to risk it. Of course, the party is more than a week before her actual birthday. I didn't want to take too big of a risk. So I'll be spending Sunday afternoon with 10-16 second grade girls. I'll report back later. The party is at her Grandpa Johnny's house. Pray for safety please.

I'll try to post sooner next time. Hey! For the Texas readers... have you noticed how "clean" the governor's race has been? I don't think I've seen one personal attack ad yet. Of course, I've seen disagreements about issues and why one candidate says they are the better person but that is expected. It almost slipped by me. It could change but for now I'm going to appreciate it.

1 Comments:

Blogger MattandSara said...

I think you have a new "calling" in writing. You do it so well and I'm always laughing at the way you put things. Good luck on the party. I'm sure some other parents are going to stay but you know CPR so it's all good ;)

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home