Sunday, August 13, 2006

Back to School Directive

School starts tomorrow. Freshly cut hair has been shampooed; alarm clocks set; back packs packed; new uniforms hang in the closets; new lunch boxes wait for their first meal; new school supplies wait to be torn from their packaging and pep talks have been delievered.

Every year we start out strong with vows of early rising, going to bed on time, no TV before homework, preparing the night before... and every year we barely make it to the finish line. Now last year, we/I did better than the previous year. This past year I made it to Spring Break before losing resolve. The year before I was sputtering in October. Probably because MW was able to dress herself, CW wasn't so grumpy in the morning and only one child participated in soccer. Also, both kids could walk themselves into school so the drive through pick-up/drop-off made things so much easier. Furthermore, CW is moving up in the grades and they don't want parents at the field trips or class parties. Our church community really invigorated me as well. Each Sunday was a shot in the arm.

Anyone who knows me knows I dread back to school. It means losing an hour of sleep each morning and increasing my drive time by two hours each day. No more sleeping in on Saturday cause we'll be at the soccer field. Back to watching the clock cause dinner, homework, bath and bed need to be done. Somewhere in the week... Boyscouts, Brownies, soccer practice, and the inevitable birthday parties have to be fit into the schedule. Oh, must do laundry midweek so clean uniforms are available and must go to the grocery store every weekend because we always run out of something for the school lunches. Sunday School and Church are required by the school so there goes 1/4 of the weekend. It's worth the time but just adds to the pressure to get housework, yardwork, shopping, bill paying, work outs, family time, carwashing, and household projects done somewhere between the games & parties I mentioned. Oh, don't even ask what happens during the holidays when the kids have school plays, extra church services and gift shopping to do.

All the while, society expects us to be patient, firm, supportive and complete all the above tasks happily and in a matter worthy of a grade "A" because we must teach our children to be responsible, kind, disciplined and well mannered. My list of chores and obligations is the same as any other parent with kids in school. The packaging may be a little different from house to house, but it's the same.

We all need to remember this life of ours isn't a contest to see who does more. That list of "things to do" I just went through is exactly what I hate to hear someone rattle off at some random school function. That person has just assumed there is no way anyone could possibly be as busy as they are and we should somehow be impressed. Guess what? We are all busy and going through similar experiences because we are all parents and guess what? If you are a good parent then you can bet the other good parents are doing the same thing as you. Thus, we are all busy! So all of you with a single or combined income of "more than the nat'l avg" relax a little. You being busier than the next Mom doesn't make you better. You supporting the next Mom does.

3 Comments:

Blogger MattandSara said...

Good stuff Ms. Walker!!! You know I couldn't agree more. I get really tired of trying to be the "perfect" mother and parent. There is not such a thing. We are all trying to do the best we can but will never match up to perfect. At least we're trying. Some parents (and you kow what I'm talking about) don't even try. Good luck this year. I continue to look to you as a foreshadowing of my life. I'll email you with all of the stuff that's going on. No internet or phone at home yet.

9:10 AM  
Blogger MattandSara said...

Good stuff Ms. Walker!!! You know I couldn't agree more. I get really tired of trying to be the "perfect" mother and parent. There is not such a thing. We are all trying to do the best we can but will never match up to perfect. At least we're trying. Some parents (and you kow what I'm talking about) don't even try. Good luck this year. I continue to look to you as a foreshadowing of my life. I'll email you with all of the stuff that's going on. No internet or phone at home yet.

9:10 AM  
Blogger kdwalker said...

Thanks for the comments Sara but...ummm...leave my divorce out of your foreshadowing. KW

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home